Support for the hospitality sector

Re-opening pubs, bars and restaurants webinar. July 2020

Impact of Eat Out To Help Out and contact tracing. August 2020

Create your own user feedback survey

Questions from the hospitality webinar

Retention of customer / visitor data to my pub, bar or restaurant.

You must collect data on everyone who uses your premises. With regards to GDPR, it is permisable as it is classed as ultimately legitimate interests and/or vital interests of the data subject would be the appropriate grounds for operators collecting and holding that data. However, all the usual GDPR provisions around keeping that data safe/secure, not keeping that data longer than necessary, a statement on how and why that data is processed/collected would apply in the same way that it does in respect of employee and other customer data held by the operator.

What hours can I sell off-sales ?
The default hours in which off-sales are permitted will be the same as those in which on-sales are permitted.

Do I need permission from Stockport Council to put furniture such as tables and chairs on the pavement directly outside my premises ?
All businesses who want to put furniture outside on the public highway/pavements are encouraged to apply for an Outdoor Café Licence Whilst there is normally a charge for processing licence applications to support local hospitality businesses the Council is not charging to process applications for those who apply before the end of September 2020. The legislation is temporary until 30 September 2021. Businesses who want to keep their outside seating after this date, will be subject to the pre-coronavirus application process and charging.

Can I serve alcohol in open containers to those who are not using the inside of premises ?
Yes this is permissable.

I have had an application for an off-sales permission refused, under the legislation can I now have permission for off-sales ?
Licensees who have had an application for an off-sales permission refused or had their off-sales permission excluded by variation or at review within the last three years, will be excluded from this provision.

Is table service compulsory required within venues ?
Guidance suggests table service should be the best approach. Thinking creative ways to enable customers to order food and drink – via apps, website, text or Whats App. Table service must be initiated where possible to limit the possibility of people moving around. Vertical drinking is to be avoided.

Covid 19 Quotes

What is the guidance on risk assessments?
The government has provided guidance and step by step risk assessments for business. A risk assessment must be displayed in a public area. Further information can be found on the Beer and Pub Associated website here or govt website.

Who is going to monitor compliance to ensure businesses adhere to guidelines?
We are in unprecedented times and the focus will be on educating and advising not on formal draconian measures in the first instance.

Will cafes not taking bookings need to take details of ‘walk ins’ for track and trace ?
Yes. Requirements under guidance state data must be taken to assist in track and trace in case there is a need to track where people have been in over a 14 day period.

I understand that I can apply for a new ‘Pavement Licence’ to make use of outdoor space, is that correct?
Yes, under the new Coronavirus Act, you can apply for a temporary pavement licence. The  process introduces a streamlined consent route to allow businesses to obtain a licence to place temporary furniture, such as tables and chairs, outside of cafes, bars and restaurants quickly, and for no more than £100


Useful links

Follow The Night Time Economy Adviser for Greater Manchester

Sacha Lord