As you will have seen, those who are clinically extremely vulnerable (CEVs) living in lockdown areas in England have been advised to shield. The guidance states that CEVs are strongly advised to work from home and if that is not possible then they should not attend work. Full guidance HERE
- Employers should speak to their CEV employees as soon as possible about the new guidance to make arrangements for them to work from home or, if it is not possible for them to do their normal role from home, consider whether there are any alternative arrangements that can be made to ensure the employee can remain at home and follow the guidance.
- CEV employees following this guidance may be eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (furlough), which has been extended until 30 April 2021. Employers should consider whether this is the right option for their CEV employees.
- For those CEVs who cannot work from home and cannot be furloughed, they may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), to support them to remain at home and follow the guidance.
- CEVs who live in England’s lockdown areas will be sent a letter advising them to shield, which may act as evidence that they are eligible for SSP or ESA.
- Employers should be aware that their CEV employees will be waiting for their letter, but in the meantime, they should follow the guidance set out online in the above link and not go into the workplace. We would encourage employers to support their CEV employees to stay at home while they are waiting for their letter.
- Those eligible for SSP and/or ESA will be eligible for the full period that the shielding guidance is in place, no matter when the CEV individual receives their letter. Eligibility conditions still apply.
- A letter has been sent to CEVs in Tier 4 areas and above. A version of this letter is available online HERE CEVs who live in areas under Tier 4 restrictions and lockdown restrictions after 20th December will receive an updated version of this letter with the date of their area’s move into Tier 4 / lockdown. The substantive content of the letter remains the same.
- CEV employees who need to access a shielding notification letter to use as evidence for SSP or ESA, they can do so online HERE